Thursday, September 12, 2019

Celebrity Scents Roundup Rodeo




Jennifer Lopez Still 

I used up my bottle of Still fairly quickly, even though it was only a like and not a love for me. It's a peppery tea scent and I found it to be a great base layer for aquatic florals. (I love to layer!) I remember seeing the ad for this years ago, Jennifer Lopez looks very "old Hollywood glamourous" in it. There is a lot of freesia in Still, creating a sharp grassy and yet sweet soap scent. It did remind me slightly of Perry Ellis Reserve or Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. This is super affordable so if light, refreshing tea scents are your thing, scoop up a bottle of J. Lo Still and feel like you are drinking a cup of jasmine tea in a garden.


Jessica Simpson Signature

I blind bought this one due to a pretty bottle and a good price. Now I am not the biggest gourmand fan, I usually find them all so similar. But this one is nice and comforting! I keep picking up the bottle to smell it. I think when it runs out I will buy a bigger size. It's a light, refreshing vanilla, not heavy or cloying in any way, just creamy, with undertones of fruit. Very yummy and cozy, snuggle worthy. Like a warm blanket and a mug of hot white chocolate. However, it would not be out of place in the summer either.


Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia

Must love white florals to love this. A very sweet and very green rendition of a gardenia. The smell of leaves after a rain. There is a note that I pick up that reminds me of fuzzy peach skin and it stays for the duration of wear. Some reviewers perceive this as melon, but either way, there is a sweet fruit note lying below the white florals. Also, it may be called Gardenia but there are a lot of other florals going on here as well, specifically I smell lily of the valley and carnation in supporting roles. Reminds me a lot of In Bloom by Reese Witherspoon, another celebrity scent. Both nice muskyflorals that bring up the image of sipping sweet iced tea on a porch, enjoying a lazy sunny afternoon. 


Sofia Vergara Sofia

I know that patchouli is not listed in the note pyramid here... but are we sure? Especially when first applied, I smell patchouli quite prominently. Or if not patchouli, something bitter and leafy. The cassis maybe? I like it though, because the bitter woodsy accord balances out the sweet blackberry and plum accords. Reminds me slightly of Love Notes by Ellen Tracy but not an exact dupe. I am actually not familiar with the actress Sofia Vergara, but tried this because it kept being recommended around Fragrantica as a budget berry scent that was not overly sweet. Very warm, dark and flirty. So far I am pleased.


Ariana Grande Ari

Ari is pop singer Ariana Grande's first fragrance, launched in 2015. She's been pumping out a new scent once a year since then. $$$$ This is the only one I have tried so far. This fragrance is all about the sweetness. Raspberry and marshmallows, like you fell into a bowl of kid's cereal or maybe their juice box. This is the type of scent most people think of when they hear "celebrity scent". I mean, she understands her target market I guess. Consumers who buy Ariana Grande perfume are generally looking for something sugary and linear. They don't want chypres or oakmoss or anything that makes you think too hard. That said, I don't hate this, I'm just not the proper demographic for Ari. I would be more likely to use this as a layering piece rather than a stand alone perfume. (Similar to Victoria's Secret or Bath & Body Works sprays... linear and better for layering than anything else IMHO) I'll end on a positive note by saying that the bottle is completely adorable.



Rihanna Rebelle

Rebelle was a very pleasant surprise for me. I went in with low expectations because it was a celebrity scent that I found cheap as chips at a discounter. It ended up being one of my nicest buys this year. I don't get much strawberry note at all, maybe just a tiny bit to sweeten the deal, and not a realistic strawberry, more of a strawberry lip balm scent. What Rebelle is for me is a chocolate and coffee perfume. It's warm and rich and cozy. I ended up buying the shower gel too. This meshes very well with warm skin, creating a sweater of fragrance. I could see this being a good purchase for a young lady on a budget who likes the sweet perfume trend but finds things like Pink Sugar too saccharine and La Vie Est Belle too heady. Rebelle is sweet but it's got just enough of a bitter edge from the coffee to say "Hey I'm sugar AND spice. Don't forget the spice part!" This makes me feel kinda sassy and coy. A perfect cold weather weekend type fragrance. Mmmm makes me want some Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment