It's been awhile since I talked about favorite soliflores. The ones I wrote about previously here are still favorites but in the meantime here are a couple more to check out.
ROSE: Atelier Rose Anonyme
I've had several opportunities to sample Rose Anonyme and it's landed straight on my wish list. This is the kind of rose perfume I dig the most... a rose with bite. A stunning, intensely earthy rose. Like a rose growing on the crumbling wall of Sleeping Beauty's forgotten castle. There is a dark side to this that I am just loving. The oud, the patchouli, the opoponax... basically any of the notes that aren't rose serve to elevate the rose into a fairytale realm of beauty from pain, mysteries and legend.
JASMINE: Rogue Perfumery Jasmin Antique
A big stinky jasmine for lovers of big stinky jasmine. Do not apply if you're more into sweet delicate romantic dainty girl florals. This is loud, proud and it's coming for everyone so look out! I recommended this to a perfume loving friend who is on a quest for the skankiest most indolic jasmine that exists. They might really love this one. It's like having my nose dipped right into a cluster of real jasmine blossoms. Mmmmmmm. Delicious and loud. Floral indole heaven.
HONEYSUCKLE: Fresh Honeysuckle
This is a very realistic honeysuckle soliflore. Clean, slightly sweet floral musk, very nostalgic for anyone who grew up in a place with honeysuckle vines. I am surprised this is not way more popular. I believe it's longer lasting, better sillage and better price than any niche house's honeysuckle that I have tried.
GARDENIA: Pacifica Tahitian Gardenia
Tahitian Gardenia is a nice affordable option among the many gardenia perfumes currently on the market. If you like Marc Jacobs, Tocca Florence, Jovan Island Gardenia, Elizabeth Taylor Gardenia, etc. then you will also like this. Pacifica's gardenia soliflore is a soft mellow creamy gardenia. Perfect for hot weather, there is the tiniest hint of jasmine that blooms underneath the composition but the heart is pure gardenia lotion on a body wearing a summer dress. This gives me a calm nurturing mood.
LILY OF THE VALLEY: Byredo Inflorescence
Lily of the valley scent is extremely nostalgic for me. These tiny bell shaped blossoms have played a role in more than a few eras of my life. But it can be a tricky note in perfumery. Luckily, Byredo Inflorescence sticks the landing flawlessly. This does not only remind me of the lily of the valley growing in the yard of my childhood home, it reminds me of the entire yard. Details I had not thought about in years.... the tiny sandbox, the plum tree, the lemon balm that took over and grew through cracks in the wooden fence. A rainy spring morning, new dresses, my first bicycle, a treasured doll. All of these details and more come through at one whiff of Inflorescence. The truest LOTV perfume I've smelled since the original version of Crabtree & Evelyn's LOTV. If I were to purchase a bottle of Byredo it would either be this one or Mojave Ghost, which is also a pretty and nostalgic floral with a sweet airy mood of innocence.
ORANGE BLOSSOM: L'Artisan Seville a l'Aube
I really enjoy the sharp green herbal opening on this. It really gives a new twist to orange blossom. The buttery waxiness underneath makes it come alive on my skin. Truly remarkable performance. Another love for me from L'Artisan. Hits a spot that not many florals can. A nice yin and yang balance of syrupy summer blossoms and crisp green incense.
VIOLET: Guerlain Insolence
Candy sweet violet powdery goodness. So much raspberry mixed with the violets here gives Insolence a bubble gum quality. This seems to be Guerlain's perfect reach toward the younger crowd. The fruity fun girlishness they crave with the Guerlain quality their mothers will purchase for them. This is a good girl with a decidedly naughty streak. Summers in the Hamptons with the sweater set but taking midnight dips in the nude with the party kids. Did I mention how much raspberry is in here? And yet somehow it still comes across as a modern twist on the violet soliflore.


No comments:
Post a Comment