Most fragrances remind me of someone. Sometimes it's a person I know but more often it's a person I have created in my imagination. What archetype does this scent bring to mind? What kind of person would smell this way? As a writer I have spent my entire life watching people, observing their details, and creating characters by filling in the blanks with my own imagination. When I was a little girl, I loved playing with my dolls. Each doll had her own name, personality and mannerisms. It's humorous to think perhaps my perfume bottles are just my grown up version of dolls. Each with their own personality and mannerisms. I present you with reviews for seven fragrances that totally cause me to dream up a character for it.
WILD CHILD by Pinrose
I think this is called Wild Child because it reminds you of a friend you had in days of youth who got away with everything by fooling the adults around her into thinking she was sweet and innocent. But you knew better! She was always pulling you into her schemes aka "adventures". She didn't realize that although she was immune to consequences, you were a Regular Child who was trying to be rational and stay alive. But you loved Wild Child because she could pull that reckless side from within you, that crazy inner brat you secretly longed to be. So you and Wild Child cried over boys and laughed over beers together. She always had better luck with both of those things. Okay, perfume wise this is a basic subtle white floral. Mostly gardenia and freesia. Inoffensive, safe, professional even. Your parents would approve. But on the drydown there is a musky skanky hint of the wild shenanigans glinting in your friend's eye.
OBSESSION by Calvin Klein
Ever see the '80s movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? This is what I picture the girlfriend, Sloane Peterson smelling like. Spicy, sensual and just a tiny bit wild. Obsession really feels like a fall and winter scent to me. I get the impression of a well worn leather jacket with traces of perfume clinging to the lining (In the case of Sloane, that jacket would be white with fringe). The longevity is great and the sillage is enormous, only one or two sprays of Obsession will get most people through an entire day. A light hand in applying is key. Dries down to a smoky powdered musk. I remember smelling this plenty in the '80s and '90s but it's not dated at all. Anyone who likes warm spicy or slightly animalic scents should try out Obsession.
TRACY by Ellen Tracy
Tracy was my favorite of all the Ellen Tracy perfumes I've had a chance to try (I got a set of minis) I call it my "suburban mom perfume" because it makes me feel like that mom who is kind and capable and runs the household effortlessly. She has no problem setting an extra place at the dinner table for her kids' friend. She has a regular date night with her husband and a book club night with the other neighborhood ladies. It's a calming, lotion-esque scent. The almond note is very milky and the violet note is soft and powdery. The peony and plum blossom add freshness to the composition without ever getting shrill. This is a nice one to wear right out of the bath or on a Sunday morning, it's soft and relaxing. People smell this on you and feel good, like you're going to nurture them. It's a comforting hug in a bottle.
JONTUE by Revlon
Has anyone seen the movie Dazed and Confused? It follows a group of Texas teenagers on the last day of school in 1976. There is a scene where a few of the senior girls are in the high school bathroom and Jontue isn't featured in the scene but whenever I smell it, I get the idea of those characters all passing around a bottle of it to share. Sweet chamomile flowers and retro oakmoss. Goes so well with bell bottom jeans, embroidered peasant blouses, macrame belts and feathered hairstyles. This is Shavonne, Jodi and Kaye and the smell of their fictional friendship.
CHLOE
Chloe EDP is one of those "olfactory armor" perfumes to me. It's not something I would wear to come across as sweet or approachable or even sexy. The reviews calling this a "rich bitch" scent are onto something here. It smells expensive, with an air of "don't talk to me, don't touch me, you aren't in my league". Some days I NEED A PERFUME JUST LIKE THAT. I definitely pick up a soapy, laundered linens vibe as well. It makes the rose into less of a realistic garden rose and more of a high-end talcum powder, sachet rose. That's really unique and makes me slightly nostalgic for the era of Laura Ashley boutiques and hotel bathrooms filled with silky guest soap.
EVENING IN PARIS by Bourjois
I must be one lucky babe because I have both a vintage bottle of Evening In Paris (from the 1940s I believe) and a sample of the new reformulation Soir de Paris. They are related for sure, but two very different ladies...
1940s Evening In Paris
There is something distinctly vintage about this. There must be a bunch of oakmoss or orris root in here. It has that "classy but skanky" quality I love so much about vintages. Heavy violet powder and syrupy ylang ylang are garnished with a shake of heliotrope and rose petals. I see a well groomed woman in a black dress and pearls dabbing this behind her ears. She checks her handbag to make sure her red lipstick and cigarettes are in there, then throws a fur around her shoulders. Her husband is taking her to the opera and then a supper club for cocktails and dancing.
New Soir de Paris
When first applied, I get amped up rose, vanilla, peach and apricot. I keep sniffing myself and thinking I put on Lancome Tresor, but I don't own any Tresor. This has better longevity than the vintage Soir de Paris and after an hour or two, the fruit mellows out a bit to let that iris-heliotrope-sandalwood out. It's much sweeter than the vintage and in my opinion, is far more girlish. I see a well groomed young woman in a little black dress and pearls dabbing this behind her ears. She checks her purse to make sure her red lipstick and cell phone are in there, then throws a silky pashmina around her shoulders. Her boyfriend is taking her to a swanky tapas lounge where a DJ is spinning jazz-funk fusion.


No comments:
Post a Comment