A collection of notes and critiques, each too small to merit their own post but nonetheless valuable.
( From my fragrantica.com profile) :
Femme Individuelle surprised me. The pink juice made me expect a watered down floral, heavy on rose or freesia or something. What I got instead was something quite unique. The femme who wears this is an individuelle indeed! The top note of bay is very strong to me and I'm not a huge fan when it's still wet. It's so herby and medicinal, it makes me think of Vick's VapoRub. Thankfully it tones down as it dries and begins to blend with the currant. The bay never leaves completely but it takes it's place in the background as a support structure for all the other notes. I happen to be one of those people who loves that plastic doll head smell. I seek it out. The notes I sense the strongest are: Pink pepper, bay, red currant and vanilla. Florals exist in this composition but I can't pick out individual flowers. This is not for a girly girl, it's for a sassy girl in charge.
GOSSIP by Cindy Adams
I had never heard of this, although it has been out for 15 years, designed by New York Post's Page Six gossip columnist Cindy Adams. I just happened to find a mini bottle at a vintage perfume sale and thought I would give it a shot. It seemed like a very linear scent to me, it did not change much throughout the day. I smelled maple, tea and amber. I could not detect floral at all. It seemed better suited for a fall day, almost spiced like cider. Since I was not too impressed I was surprised to receive a compliment on it! The cashier at the sandwich shop told me "Your perfume smells wonderful. It reminds me of my grandmother's White Diamonds." Uh....thanks? I hate White Diamonds, and I don't think this smells a bit like it at all. But I never get random compliments on my scent...so there is that.
This is the strongest, longest lasting floral aquatic I have ever tried. My skin usually soaks up scents, but I could still smell Oxygene at the end of the work day. A soft milky gardenia/iris. Like a catnap in the sun, laying on freshly laundered sheets on the first open windows day of spring.
AMOR AMOR by Cacharel
Yes, there is a cigarette and hairspray-ness to Amor Amor when first sprayed. I LOVE that about it. It gets me excited the same way I got excited when I was seventeen years old. On my skin, it dries into red currant wine and roses. It doesn't last long but it gives me that little boost when I'm just going out for drinks with my girlfriends or whatnot. The berries are juicy and the hairspray quality feels optimistic and cosmopolitan (also why I like Gucci Rush, which is a hot mess but works BEAUTIFULLY). I would like to keep a bottle of Amor Amor around for those times I want to feel like a playful young woman discovering her sexual power.
BLUEBELL by Penhaligon
There is something so evocative in this. My childhood, walks in the woods, talking with God. This seems like it should be worn by a young maiden from another era, it has a fairytale quality to it. I also enjoy the I Capture The Castle reference this perfume has. Ultimately it felt too green for me, but it is haunting and rather long lasting. This would be fantastic on a girl with pale blonde hair and porcelain complexion.
BEAUTIFUL by Estee Lauder
This is far more floral than I can handle. I don't know what it is, but Beautiful is not my kind of beautiful. I smell a hodge podge of very sweet floral. Maybe carnations and marigolds. It reminds me of fancy guest soaps carved into the shape of flowers. It stayed strong and lasted all day. If it were a bride, it would be a super traditional and virginal bride. If I want a soapy floral for sweater weather I will stick to my Anais Anais.
ESCADA COLLECTION by Escada
Why do they always discontinue the BEST fragrances? It's a cruel world. But this Escada Collection is absolutely amazing!!! I have a little sample and it is so unique and enticing.Cherry cola + vanilla pipe tobacco mix into a deep, slightly heady aroma with very good sillage. A few drops lasted for hours and hours. How I would LOVE to have a full bottle of this. It's so right for fall and winter.
CK ONE by Calvin Klein
212 by Carolina Herrera
HYPNOTIC POISON by Christian Dior
I'm so very disappointed in Hypnotic Poison. I was expecting....I don't know, something! I may just have the type of skin that just absorbs scents like crazy, but I could hardly smell this within minutes of putting it on. My 4 year old said I smelled like chocolate. All I could smell was a cross between root beer and this odd Play-Doh note that never went away. The drydown was a cross between root beer and vanilla, like the dregs of an ice cream drink. And that Play Doh note. I'm sad. I really wanted to like this, after reading so many great reviews I was prepared to love it.
LIPSTICK ROSE by Frederic Malle
It didn't disappoint in smelling like an expensive Lancome lipstick, mostly violet, a tinge of roses and a creamy vanilla drydown. Very cool concept, but I wondered what people who didn't know the name would think it smelled like. Turns out, everyone else thought it smelled like baby wipes. After hearing that, I lost the desire to wear this again. Also, it didn't last on my skin more than two hours, and I expect more from such an expensive concoction! Still love the idea though, and am waiting for other companies to get wise to it.
VARIATIONS by Carven
Where have I smelled this before? It is so unique. Sweet, but also deep and rich. I was racking my brain trying to remember if I've ever known someone who had a bottle of Variations.Then it hit me...I'm pretty darn sure this is the same scent as my Electric Youth perfume from back in the 80s!!! I haven't smelled EY in years so I don't know for sure. But scents can open up memories you didn't even know you had.
LIAISONS DANGEREUSES by By Kilian
I love it! How much would I love a full bottle of this? Heavenly. A lush mix of peaches and plums dipped in champagne. Sexy without being in your face. Seems like a fragrance you could wear at any time of year, but it would really shine with a sundress and strappy sandals.
HARAJUKU LOVERS BABY by Gwen Stefani
Soft, powdered flowers. I could smell the freesia and violet quite noticeably under the powder. The lasting power was excellent, all day, which greatly surprised me. This is a serious contender for those seeking a "baby powder" type scent with a bit of interest. Very little juice for the price of a bottle though so I will stick to the purse sized rollerball.
SENSUOUS NOIR by Estee Lauder
Sensuous Noir is perfect for the Christmas season. Smells very strongly of pine, but not in a car air freshener way that would make you hate it. No, it smells like real fresh pine growing in a snowy forest. That, and warm winter mulling spices like cinnamon and cardamom. Very luscious and a little bit femme fatale. I wore it to work no problem, just a few drops applied under a warm sweater. It was very cozy to get little wafts of Sensuous Noir peeking at me through the workday. Probably an evening fragrance for most people though.
SENSUOUS by Estee Lauder
I have always loved the scent of a workshop. When the jigsaw cuts through a board it creates a distinct hot (not quite burned) wood smell that I really enjoy. Sensuous is that exact feeling and it makes me so happy!
More to come! Fee free to add your own reviews in the comments section. Thanks for reading!
Jan
05
05
Jan
08
08


No comments:
Post a Comment