
On the opposite end of the spectrum we have those other scents that aren't quite so innocent. In fact, they seem to embody the personality archetype of "brazen hussy". They are bold, attention seeking, overtly sexual and taking no prisoners. I have to admit, these tend to be my favorites. Should I be worried? Having a flair for the dramatic and a theatrical background make me a prime candidate for these over the top sillage monsters that shout "look at me!" from the rooftops. I'm not ashamed..they smell amazing on me.
The key to wearing the following fragrances well is to use a very light hand when applying. A few drops on pulse points or two spritzes all over. Sometimes I will even spray a Qtip and then apply that one spray everywhere indirectly. Whichever method you use, give the oils time to settle in before you go out into the world so you don't choke anyone. The desired effect is more of an invisible shawl enwrapping your being, a magnetizing potion that appears to seep naturally from your skin. Here are some of my favorite perfumes that flirt with crossing the line into harlot territory...
EUPHORIA by Calvin Klein
One of the sexiest perfumes I have ever smelled. It was instant lust when I inhaled this. The bottle design bears some kind of resemblance to female parts, most likely that was intentional. One night at a party I was wearing this brew and I needed to ask the host what his house number was. He breathed in deeply at my shoulder and said "Ahhhh I don't know." I got the distinct impression that it was not the drink in his hand but in fact, the smell of Euphoria that had derailed all of his thought processes in that moment. It is that good. It's dark and creamy, with notes of mahogany, pomegranate and violet. There is also some black orchid in there softening the lines a bit more. A very deep and mysterious scent. Although not listed in the notes, I always get the impression of plump blackberries on the first spray. Be warned a girl needs attitude to pull this off as it is heady and sexy. You could wear this to a cigar bar. It has a drug like effect on men, garners compliments from other women, and always makes me feel more attractive just wearing it.
KORS by Michael Kors
This smells like a lavish party. I would not recommend wearing it when you may be subject to a sobriety check. It smells like a sweet cognac first and foremost, with floral and fruit notes underneath. Wearing it gives you that same heady feeling you get looking at the dregs of your third glass of red wine at gallery night in the city. There is a leather and smokiness at the base of this that makes me adore it. The bottle is even shaped like a cigarette. I don't know why, but wearing this makes me feel snooty. Even so, a good night out fragrance.
RUSH by Gucci
When I first whiffed this stuff I hated it. But then.. I kept coming back. There was something so in your face about it that turned me off initially. Then I realized where Gucci Rush fits in to the scheme of the world and its beauty became shiningly apparent. Can we talk about the bottle design for a minute? It looks like a VHS tape. That's perfect because this smells like the late 80s. It's hairspray and shoulder pads, acrylic hot pink nails and blue eyeshadow. This is how porn stars smell when they get all glammed up for a big shoot. Notes wise, it has all kinds of things going on at once. High volume florals, sweet vanilla, earthy patchouli, fruity peach. It's a hot mess but it somehow works! It is certainly meant only for wear at night, in a busy club or smoky bar. The synthetic smell is unnoticeable in these environments. I might sound like I dislike it, but it's quite the opposite. I LOVE THIS. It's a stand up and take notice smell. Big and loud with huge hoop earrings this scent is. She is a fashionista and her friends copy her style. Everything about this says big hair and gooey lipstick. But the world needs that! How can we appreciate that which is simple and refined if we do not occasionally experience a crude excess? Gucci Rush is the olfactory illustration of this concept.
BOUDOIR by Vivienne Westwood
I have written about Boudoir previously on this blog, under the heading Tricky Treats. It is worth another mention in the category of bad girls. Does it actually smell like sex? Well, yes and no. It smells like the idea of crazy hot sex from another era. Perhaps an 18th century French courtesan's bedroom. The sheets are unwashed and the air is thick with powder. There is a plate of cookies next to the bed and underneath it all, the lingering aroma of tobacco. It is a very seductive perfume. I tend to wear it, as the name suggests, when I am lounging at my own home. One time I ventured out in public wearing a spritz and I did feel conspicuous. There is this dirty note somewhere in it, and while not at all unpleasant, American noses have been trained to eschew their own natural body smells and cover themselves with antiseptic soapy smells. Anything earthy or real skin scented seems unclean.
CABARET by Gres
Perfectly named, while not so much a harlot perfume, I had to include Cabaret in this review because it reminds me of my theatre background. Fresh soft florals, mostly rose at the top, and the base is a very dry clay smell. It is cool and elegant with a transparent, almost dusty smell. I think of the atmosphere backstage at every show I have been involved in. Antique wood counters in the dressing room, waxy makeup and powder strewn across them. Vases and vases of roses and lilies. That musky smell of fresh sweat from dancers just coming off stage. When I put on Cabaret, I do get a tiny bit of that opening night excitement. It's so compelling it is almost too good to be worn.

No comments:
Post a Comment